SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2022
Submissions Due By
NOON, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 07, 2022
A tradition in Mexico and Central America that goes back more than 3,000 years, Día de los Muertos is an annual holiday that is now celebrated around the world. A celebration of life and death, the holiday spans two-days, during which it is believed that the spirit world and the real world become one, even if only for a moment. When it comes to traditions, festivities and flowers – we get the appeal. As an organization that’s all about a rose, the Pasadena Tournament of Roses can appreciate that the marigold holds such a prestigious place in this celebration.
The Pasadena Tournament of Roses, in partnership with the Mexican Consulate in Los Angeles, invites you to join in our 3rd annual Dia de los Muertos Art Competition. Selected artwork will be displayed at the Tournament House and winners will be recognized at an outdoor reception. Winners, in three age categories, will receive cash prizes.
How to Enter
To enter, students must be between the ages of 4 and 18. Masterpieces can take any shape or form, as long as it celebrates, reflects and honors the traditions of Día de los Muertos.
- Paintings & Drawings – Create an art piece featuring marigolds, monarch butterflies or other representations of the holiday
- Calavera – Make and decorate a sugar skull
- Ofrendas – Build or construct an altar
- Catrina – Paint a face with traditional Día de los Muertos makeup
- Digital Art/Graphic Design – Use technology and graphic design to bring your art to life
- Other visual arts – Get creative in some other form, including sculptures, making a traditional Día de Muertos costume
Awards & Scholarships
Winners of this year’s regional competition will be awarded scholarships and gift cards in three age categories: 4-8, 9-13 and 14-18.
The Tournament of Roses House is located at 391 S Orange Grove Blvd in Pasadena, California. Parking will be available at the venue.